CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Discrimination

Saturday night Chase and I went out to a local bar so we could celebrate his 29th birthday. It's a nice little bar that usually has a live band playing rock music. It is usually filled with a mix of people, young and old. There was a particular group sitting at a table in front of us; 4-5 couples who were all young, pretty, preppy, and skinny.

Chase had gone to the bathroom, and one of the girls came over to talk to me. She was asking where I had gotten my save the ta-tas t-shirt. She seemed friendly and was easy to talk with. Her husband walked over and grabbed her arm. Then he looks at me and says, "You don't need to be talking to or be seen with this fat bitch." She looked mortified and they both walked to their table.

I wanted to crawl under the table. It took every ounce in me not to cry. Chase got back and I went to the bathroom. I sat on the bench in shock, I had to get away from everyone. I finally composed myself and went back out to find Chase. Go figure that the same guy is walking in my direction. Instead of being nice and moving over in the pathway, he runs straight into my shoulder with his.

Chase and I left shortly after this and once in the car I told him what had happened. He was extremely mad, stopped in the middle of the road, and was tempted to turn the car around. I told him there was no point and to just take me home. Once we got home he told me how beautiful I was and how he would take me over those "skany girls" anyday. He knew I was hurt.

It's Sunday night and I still don't understand why that guy would say that. Why did I let him say that to me? Why did I (and still am) let his hateful words get to me? I'm tired of being the fat girl that people get to run over. I'm tired of being the fat girl, but in all honesty I don't see myself changing. So, shouldn't I just embrace my fat self and not get offended when someone discriminates against me?

0 comments: