CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Hurricane Arrives

Hurricane Ike is on its way. I've never been through a major storm and I have no idea what to expect. Rain and wind are a given, but what else?

Some friends, Mirium, Danny, and their daughter Brandy, came to stay with us. They live in Webster which is in the danger zone of Ike. It's been nice to spend time with them and catch up no matter what the circumstances are.

The lights went out alittle before midnight and thankfully we have candles, a flashlight, and a battery powered radio. Ike is supposed to hit Galveston @ 12 so we are just waiting. The kiddos are sound asleep and have no clue what's going on. I guess that is a good thing.

Danndy and Chase are being protective of all of us (which in turn is making me extremely nervous). It's one o'clock in the morning and the wind and rain has started to pick up. We are all still wide awake, too anxious to sleep. We seem to all be taking turns standing at the sliding glass door and looking into the backyard. I've been texting my brother and my Mom to make sure they are all ok. My brother's family is sitting in the bathroom.

Chase and I decided to sleep for a couple of hours before the storm gets too bad. As soon as I fell asleep, Chase jumps and puts his hand on my back. He swears he hears a tornado forming (the wind was swirling pretty badly at this point). Sleep wasn't goign to happen and we found out that Danny and Mirium were still up for the same reason.

Right now, a tree in our neighbor's yard is a major concern. It's maybe 20 feet hight and swinging with such force that it could snap at any moment. If it falls, it will go stright through our bedroom. The living room is now our "look out point". We all decide that the kid's bathroom will be the best spot for all of us in case we need to move away from the windows.

It's 3 o'clock and we are now considered in the eye. The eye is measuring 40 miles wide. We all try to catch some much needed sleep because I know the kids will be ready to rock and roll by 8 o'clock (only 5 more hours geeez).

0 comments: